In Sickness and in Health

I hate being ill.

I know that no one actually likes it, but for those of us who provide Forest School, being ill usually means an extra little bit of chaos, as there may not be anyone to step into our role, so the organisational fallout of being off sick is something we try hard to avoid!

Being outside keeps most of the viruses that circulate School at bay. It strengthens the immune system of the Forest School Leader as well as the children, so luckily for me getting sick is fairly rare.

Yep, I get headaches, and everything-else-aches, and the odd cold, but fresh air and over-the-counter painkillers seem to mean 'soldiering on' is easily possible. 

This week was a disastrous week for germs to finally catch up with me. It's the last week of term, Celebration Week, a week of campfires and treats, and I did head in ready to do 3 marshmallow toasting sessions, but only survived the morning before I had to retreat home to the duvet... and a sick bowl.


When Covid-19 was at its height we valued fresh air above all else. We understood ventilation and respected open spaces. How quickly this has faded. Classrooms and offices remain shut up and people don't want to dress for the weather outside. So other viruses are flourishing without open windows and doors. They may incubate inside, but humans bring them out to basecamp, and we all wander inside to the 'germ nursery' now and then. 

This academic year there have been a few nasty illnesses circulating. Apparently nationally! The heavy cold one, the random cough one that wants to linger, and the sneaky vomiting one that stalked me!

At home I slept, although every time I woke I was messaging or emailing to ensure everyone was aware of what should be happening in the schedule we no longer could follow. At school, sessions are used to cover teachers' PPA, so there has to be an alternative 'activity' for that time. Even having more than one FSL doesn't mean we have someone available to cover.

I'm not a control freak, I love collaborating, sharing ideas, space, & planning, and letting others take the lead, but (there's always a but!), BUT I hate leaving more work for others.

When my job is at a desk the 'in-box' grew and awaited my return after sick leave, and I had to play catch up!
Even when based in a classroom, if the class was bereft of a poorly teacher, someone could take over the lesson plan and things ticked over as close to normal as they could.
In a Forest School, independently run or attached to a School, staff absence almost always equals cancellation, and therefore children with a void in their timetable!

With the routine we currently work under, it also means for me that some events, such as campfire celebrations need to be rescheduled. So my fuzzy head was also trying to work out how and when to fit in extra sessions in the first week back, as well as subdue the guilt of abandonment! 

Now, I know I'm by no means unique. The majority of people in education feel and act the same, and probably all Forest School Leaders. However, we outdoor folk are generally hardy, so being ill is rare, which makes it something we aren't used to and (in my case) are pretty awful at dealing with! 

So now I am 'recovering'.
Feeling pathetic for the lack of energy.
Living on dry toast and black tea. 
Aiming for a brief wander outside. 
Needing lots of naps... 

Plus:
WiFi,
Internet,
Research,
To-do lists,
Shopping wish-lists,
Collating info,
Long-term planning,
Organising... everything and anything...

Luckily, I can manage that from the sofa! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indoor Forest School

Stormy weather

Outdoor Learning